Sunday, June 18, 2006

My Father

My father is a very special person to me. In fact, he is the most important person in my life. Part of the reason is that he is the person who has had the most continuous presence in my life, from the time I was born until the present. Not that we were always getting along or at times talking; but even when I had distanced myself from him, he was still the person that I thought most about.

I am continually amazed by him. As I have grown, so has he. We both have worked very hard on our communication skills and I am often amazed at how calm he has managed to become with me. It is my impression that he avoids my trigger points and that he just ignores it when I still manage to find his.

When I give parent workshops, I love to tell parents about my father. Despite his reluctance and at that point still close espousal of gender roles, he managed to help a very reluctant 14 year-old use a tampon. My swim camp was the next day and I had no desire to use a tampon. I cried and cried as he coached me from the other side of the door.

Dad, you are wonderful.

I love you,
Margie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the very best Fathers Day Present I have ever received.
Love Dad