Wednesday, July 12, 2006

I Have Bigger Balls!

[Israeli] Army Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Dan Halutz warned the Lebanese government that the Israeli military will target infrastructure and ''turn back the clock in Lebanon by 20 years,'' if the soldiers were not returned, Israeli TV reported.
-The New York Times

1986. No, I do not think Lebanon wants to go back 20 years. No.

I am frustrated. I think both Israel and Hezbollah are egomaniacs. I'm sick of hearing these "I have bigger balls!" matches.

Why does Lebanon allow itself to be the gameboard for Israel and Hezbollah?

Lebanon is under U.N. and U.S. pressure to disarm the Shiite guerrilla group and move its own military into the south, but the government has refused to do so, calling Hezbollah a legitimate resistance group.
-The New York Times

Both Israel and Hezbollah have a great deal of power, I presume. Lebanon may not be as powerful. Up to this point Lebanon has looked the other way and ignored Hezbollah. But there are other ways and they must be found. Be creative, come on! There is a solution and it is peaceful. Or else, the vicious cycle will repeat itself and more than two Lebanese civilians will suffer the consequences.

And by the way, I am still going to Lebanon in September and neither Israel nor Hezbollah can stop me.

No comments: