Sunday, September 24, 2006

My Decision

I will be going to Lebanon in December. My dear prof Evelyne offered me a place to stay when I arrive and that was the only catalyst I needed.

My mind is already buzzing. I want to listen and see. I want to take pictures and write. And if I can do something small but practical such as help clean the coast, I will.

When I come back, I will share what I witnessed.
Look at the destruction our tax dollars caused.
Wave it in people's faces.

Evelyne's brother has been sheltering refugees from South Lebanon. I have asked how they are now and I will keep any readers that I may have updated.

I am not planning to tell my dear papa for awhile. If he happens to read my blog, I imagine that I will get a frantic phone call. Just remember my dearest, that your daughter is pretty smart and careful. She is doing this because the conditions in which she will be traveling are logical. She has a friend and people she can ask for help in an emergency. And she has done enough stupid things in her past to know what she must avoid doing.

I love you, Dad. I will be fine. I promise to avoid driving on streets with known snipers present.

Please support my decision and relax.

I love you,
Margie

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Dear Margaret,
You are one of the most "alive" people I know....Bless you!
Safe journey / Safe return,
Wendy

"Don't ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

Margaret said...

Wendy,
The quote you found, made me laugh. I read that quote somewhere, perhaps in Jane Goodall's book. I had copied it into my journal. It may even be on this blog. I'm not sure.
It feels good to have made a decision.
Thanks,
Margaret

Margaret said...

I found the quote!
http://margaretswanderings.blogspot.com/2006/06/quote-of-day.html
Even though I have his name as Harold Whitman, not Howard Thurman.
I've always been completely lousy at names, confusing Peter and Paul, Greg and Craig,...
Perhaps I did that in this case too. Who knows.
Thanks again, Wendy.