Friday, September 08, 2006

We Belong to the Earth

I just started reading Vandana Shiva's Earth Democracy. I am planning to read it slowly and so I will probably include multiple reflections on my blog.

I thought tonight that I would start by sharing a part of a speech made by
Chief Seattle in 1848 that she quotes.
How can you buy or sell the sky, the warmth of the land? The idea is strange to us.

If we do not own the freshness of the air and the sparkle of the water, how can you buy them?

Every part of this earth is sacred to my people. Every shining pine needle, every sandy shore, every mist in the dark woods, every clearing and humming insect is holy in the memory and experience of my people. The sap which courses through the tree carries the memories of the red man.

This we know; the earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth. This we know. All things are connected like the blood which unites our family. All things are connected.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

By the way, brave woman, I noticed in your profile that you enjoyed the films:
-Rabit Proof Fence
-West Beirut
-Iron Jawed Angels

*I loved those films too!!!

Did you happen to go to the Human Rights Watch International Film Festival? In 2002, I saw 2 great films there:
- Afghanistan 1380
- Voice of the Prophet

I too have read:
- The God of Small Things
- Reason For Hope

We have that in common also. I met Dr. Jane Goodall, but that's a story for another day!

Wendy said...

Linky links to my previous comment:
Rabbit Proof Fence
West Beirut
Iron Jawed Angels
Human Rights Watch International Film Festival
Afghanistan 1380
Voice of the Prophet
The God of Small Things
Reason for Hope

Margaret said...

Kindred spirits we are, Wendy.

I was in NYC and I stood in a very long line to get tickets for the Human Rights Watch International Film Festival 2002. Amy Goodman from "Democracy Now" was in front of me (Sorry, I haven't figured out how to link in the comments section yet).

She was drinking Starbuck's coffee. I thought this was very odd for she is constantly denigrating all corporatization. Perhaps Starbuck's is somehow the exception.

The line was so long that my friend and I ended up going to see an opera in Central Park instead. I never did see any of the films that year.

So, how did you meet Jane Goodall? There's a book on my reading list that is in part about her, "Enduring Lives."

Hope you and Satchel are sleeping well,
Margaret
Margaret