Thursday, October 12, 2006

Funding to Israel Must Stop

Tonight, I went to listen to a talk by Barbara Lubin, Middle East Children's Alliance's (MECA) founder and Executive Director.

I appreciated her passion. I am not alone; you are not alone.

The main message that I came away with is that we have to press our government to stop sending billions of dollars of military aid to Israel. It is not doing Palestine, Israel, the Middle East, and the world any good.

I am at the point that I no longer want to vote for elected officials that support the war machine in any form, including taking campaign contributions from Boeing or voting in favor of Israeli military interests.

I am at the point that an elected official can be pro-choice, support women's issues, and have authored the Violence Against Women's Act (VAWA) and I still am going to be apprehensive about voting for them. Yes, I have Senator Patty Murray in mind who is not running for reelection quite yet but Senator Maria Cantwell is and it is about time that I write both of them a letter.

Hey, if anyone reads this blog will you hold me to it?

And you too, stop supporting "progressive" politicians that are willing to fund Israel. And check out MECA while you are at it. And give them a donation.

2 comments:

Richard Kimball said...

I think the conservative movement thrives on voters that refuse to vote based on a few topics.

I also think it would be better to try and change the minds that will listen to their constituency(and have a chance of making it into office) instead of not voting at all.

Margaret said...

I wish there were viable alternatives. I get so annoyed that the Dems just expect me to vote for them even if they make decisions that I know kill people. Why are people in this country valued more than those in other countries? How can I support anyone who supports the death of others?
I need to work on that letter to Maria. I won't be able to get to it until this weekend at the earliest.