Monday, November 13, 2006

Hudna

I am considering today a good day.
  1. Siniora went ahead and asked the Parliment to vote on establishing a criminal court to investigate Hariri's death despite 5 ministers and without President Lahoud's approval. The Parliment voted in favor.
  2. I had a decent day at work and got some projects done.
  3. And then tonight I discovered "hudna."
A truce is referred to in Arabic as a hudna. Typically covering 10 years, a
hudna is recognized in Islamic jurisprudence as a legitimate and binding
contract. A hudna extends beyond the Western concept of a cease-fire and obliges
the parties to use the period to seek a permanent, nonviolent resolution to
their differences. The Koran finds great merit in such efforts at promoting
understanding among different people. Whereas war dehumanizes the enemy and
makes it easier to kill, a hudna affords the opportunity to humanize one's
opponents and understand their position with the goal of resolving the
intertribal or international dispute.


I love the idea of a 10 year cooling off period and an opportunity to humanize your opponent. I may be a hopeless idealist, but that's me. I recommend reading the commentary, Dream of permanent peace by delaying it for a decade, by Ahmed Yousef.

Good night!

No comments: