Monday, January 29, 2007

1 in 3 women


Did you know that 1 in 3 women throughout the world is subjected to intimate partner abuse during her lifetime?

This is one of the disturbing facts that I learned while being introduced to the game “Zoom In…Zoom Out” at Kafa/ Enough, a non-profit organization in Lebanon that seeks to mitigate the causes and results of violence and exploitation of women and children.

What's cool about the game is that it gives participants the chance to gain awareness of women's situation worldwide on the individual or as we say in social work "micro" level while also "zooming out" to the "macro" level and looking at the economic, political, and social reasons why this violence against women occurs.

Kafa has only existed since 2005 but already they have done so much awareness building and advocacy work. It is truly amazing. Their energy is catching. I e-mailed my new friend there to see how they are doing and she e-mailed me back to say that they are organizing a women's protest against the war! While I wish that violence was not even a theoretical concept, I am so glad that there are women out there like the women of Kafa who are really making a difference.


[As long as there is violence against women,] ... we cannot claim to be making real progress towards equality, development, and peace.

-Kofi Annan, Former United Nations Secretary General


If you are interested in reading the October 2006 UN study on Violence Against Women, click here.

3 comments:

Carol Gee said...

Good post. Before I retired I worked for 12 years as a clinical social worker at a women's center. The center provided rape crisis, employment, advocacy and counseling services. I will let them know of your post as a good resource.

bluegrrrrl said...

Excellent info. I'm interested in that game...
The statistics on domestic violence are truly alarming, especially considering how much of it goes unreported and is simply accepted as a way of life in many cultures...including our own.

Margaret said...

I am curious where it is that you worked. I interned at a DV agency in Texas. I went to the annual Texas State DV coalition conference that year. I loved the coalition's energy.