Tuesday, January 30, 2007

I've been doing some cooking

Making sure to saturate the corners of my nest with the cooking smells of onions, olive oil, lemons, and garlic.


Potato kibbee. Inspired by Tante Malakeh. Lots of onions, olive oil, potatoes, bulghur wheat, and even a bit of cinammon. Can you tell I snuck a piece?


Baba ghannuj with lots of garlic (lots of garlic), eggplant, tahini, and lemon juice. Pour olive oil over it and sprinkle with sumac.


I even found khubus (Lebanese bread). It was thin like khubus but the size of pita bread and perhaps not the freshest. I bought it anyway. You can always heat it up.


Zaatar. Mansour's mom gave me some and it is now in my freezer. Stays fresher that way. What's in zaatar? I'm not quite sure, a sort of thyme, sesame seeds, ... Mix with olive oil and put on those premade biscuits that come out of a tube. A woman I met in grad school whose uncle lived in Roumieh taught me this. Mini manaeesh. Smells like the real thing. Mansour and Josette convinced me to put olives on one. Manaeesh is delicious that way.


What else? A sauce of lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil. Brings the eyes to the back of my head in pleasure.


Chicken marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, cinnamon, and oregano. Leftover chicken juices over brown rice mixed with cinnamon and pine nuts.


What else have I cooked since my return? I also made mijadra, a version of it at least. Lentils, onions, brown rice, carrots, and spinach.


I love to cook.

5 comments:

Myrthe said...

Mmmmmm!!! I am drooling all over my keyboard!! Baba ghannuj is my favorite. But then again, I love anything that has eggplant in it.

bluegrrrrl said...

You're making me hungry!!! I'm drooling over the potato kibbee, baba ghannuj, and zaatar especially. might need to look up some recipes & do some cooking of my own!!!

Fay said...

Hi Margaret
Zaater (South Lebanon) is made out of Thym, Sumac, salt, roasted sesame seeds
(Sumac is red and sour (like in lemon. It could be used during cooking of kebabs, fish, lamb and chicken as well as in Zaatar.

woman wandering said...

I ran my mouse over and over your recipe titles, hoping that they were links lol, poor me ... a creature who was raised in New Zealand.

Istanbul taught me there was more in the world and left me hungry. Your photographs a lovely.

Margaret said...

I'd be happy to share me recipes. Just let me know.