Sunday, February 04, 2007

creativity

i hope you will go out and let stories happen to you, and that you will work them, and water them with your blood and tears and laughter till they bloom, till you yourself burst into bloom.

-Clarissa Pinkola Estes

I've had it with being depressed. No, I haven't made it known perhaps; but I have been since I returned from my trip. It's hard not to be this time of year. It is so grey outside. Even when I go out and take photos, the moments I capture are grey.

I found the above quote at jen lemen's.

I am going to push myself to live again. To write, to go to yoga, to go snow shoeing, whatever I feel like doing whatever it takes. I will also probably visit creative blogs more often and hopefully spend less time depressing myself over the state of the world. Not that I could keep myself too far away from politics, but I need to let what nourishes me into my interior space more often than it does.

I also am going to create a mondo beyondo list.

This is the list of things that are outrageous, wild, and may not even happen for 5 or 10 years from now. This is the list of things that are SO JUICY and unlikely to happen that you are afraid to even write them down. This might be the most important list of all!
{This is where the trip to Tibet goes, the gallery show for your paintings, meeting your favorite movie star, owning a home in Switzerland, or whatever makes you grin and feel jazzy just thinking about} If this list isn't really fun to make, you're not using your imagination. Think big! This is your mondo beyondo.


This is from superhero journal. Check her blog out for more on mondo beyondos.

And so it is time for my own mondo beyondo list.

I want to:

* Travel. See the world, the whole world including Africa, Palestine, Thailand, Vietnam, India, New Zealand, Hawaii, Argentina among other countries and parts of the world...
* Be fluent, really fluent, in Spanish, French, and Arabic.
* Write and find a way to create the elusive "finished product" that we westerners base our accomplishments upon.
* Go snowshoeing in the winter and kayaking and hiking in the spring and summer.
* Incorporate yoga into my daily life. None of this 3 months on and 6 months off behavior.
* Be a group animator for adults and teens in theatre and the creative arts in a way that assists and animates people to make a postive difference in their personal lives and way beyond.
* Get Maya to stop always whining for food.
* Be much more adept at using my camera including manual settings.
* Live and travel in more countries and if I live in the States, to live on the Western side of the Cascades.
* See war become history.
* See everyone having their basic needs met.


This is my list. I encourage you to write yours. You can write it in the comment section or somewhere else if you want. And as superhero explains, don't fret over whether your dreams are attainable or not. Just write them down. Push yourself to verbalize the dreams that lie buried deep down in your heart.


Postscript: I am already working on making my dreams come true! I just signed up to go to this year's Pedagogy and Theatre of the Oppressed conference in Minneapolis this May. I even signed up for a 3-day workshop with Augusto Boal, the creator of Theatre of the Oppressed. I am proud of myself for making plans and keeping my creative juices flowing.

4 comments:

Carol Gee said...

Margaret, your post was very rich today. I will follow up with my list one of these days. Thanks!
Regarding workshops, there is one for therapists in Sante Fe, New Mexico, every summer called "Creativity and Madness." This year it is July 30-August 3. I always wanted to attend, and now I am retired. Her is a link to their site:
http://www.aimed.com/

Margaret said...

You should go if you have been wanting to. Have you read the quote from Lang: "Insanity is a sane response to an insane world?" I love looking at the artwork of the "insane." It makes alot of sense to me.

Alex aka Gypsy Girl said...

I love making lists about my dreams and projects. It's an exercise to actually learn what is really important to me. Travel is always on my list too! Thank you for stopping by,Margaret. I enjoyed discovering you!:)

woman wandering said...

Tell me when you go to New Zealand and I will tell you all the beautiful South Island places I know and love and carry with me while I'm out in the world :)