Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day

3 dead, 23 wounded in two bus explosions in Ain Alaq near Bekfaya in the Metn, the mountains where I grew up.

One side blames Syria, the other the Israelis. Does it really matter?
What matters is that these were ordinary people going to work, trying to continue living while politicians squabble.

An editorial in The Daily Star was the source of the most intelligent commentary:

Given the utter lack of respect that the high and mighty of both the government and the opposition have shown for the general public by failing to reach a compromise, it was perfectly predictable that eventually, someone would carry out a craven atrocity against the innocent and the humble. The next stage that so many Lebanese fear, though, is entirely avoidable: We do not have to see tit-for-tat massacres that spiral into civil war if the political class realizes at last that its pride is not justified, that its status is not earned, and that its priorities are indefensible.

The supposed day of love is fast approaching and my heart goes out to the ordinary people of Lebanon and to the ordinary people all over the world who suffer the consequences of their political leaders' pride and self-interest.

Happy Valentine's Day

6 comments:

Myrthe said...

I was so sad when I heard about this yesterday. However, given the timing (anniversary of Hariri's murder), probably not a surprise. I just hope it won't go any further.

Matt said...

I stand with you in that sorrow, would that I had the power to stop all violence. Thank you for giving voice to those who have none, and being a light in this world :)

Happy Valentine's Day!

Julie said...

thank you once again Margaret for bring light to all the stories that are so important yet not told enough.
May your valentines day be filled with love,smiles and maybe a hint of laughter.
julie

Anonymous said...

You continue to impress me with how courageous and visionary you have been in your whole approach to the Lebanese situation and to the plight of the oppressed in general! Your remarks are very much needed! Keep up the good work!
Thank you for your preceding comments to my remarks! I received them with gratitude!
E

Margaret said...

Thanks to all for your comments. I can't say that I am in the greatest mood this evening. Yesterday's escalation and today's hourah are getting to me.

Coffee Messiah said...

Nicely done!