Thursday, February 08, 2007

No to Civil War in Lebanon!


Seeing this photo made me so happy. My friend from Kafa that I wrote about in a previous blog told me that women's groups were going to meet near the Beirut National Museum and say:
No to a civil war!
Yes to Peace!
Over 300 women participated this past Monday.
Other banners read:
Enough confessional incitement, no to civil war.
More than 100,000 killed, more than 100,000 handicapped, more than 17,000 people missing is the price of the past civil war.
The organizers issued a statement calling on political parties "to stop the sectarian campaigns and mutual accusations."
"We refuse internal fighting as a means to achieve political goals, and call on all political leaders to return to dialogue in order to reach a national, non-confessional solution" to Lebanon's political crisis, they said.
The location where the women met is symbolic. The Beirut National Museum was one of the crossing points on the "Green Line" that divided the city during the first civil war. Kafa's offices are pretty close by and when I visited them in early January I remember being so happy that I was actually driving near the museum, a place that I was never able to go to as a child.
How horrible it would be if the country becomes so divided that violence once again ensues. Isn't the past recent enough to stop people from self-destruction once again?
Those that will actually be doing the fighting and the dying will not be the ones gaining from the war. As always, it will be a few politicians and business entities who will benefit. Most people whether they are Christian, Sunni, Shiite are nothing more than pawns. Can't people see this?
I feel the slightest bit connected to Lebanon right now, as I knew that this protest was going to happen. If I could have, I would have been there.
I am sending as much postive energy as I have right now out into the world, to women who are standing up to the violence that surrounds them. I am with you.

10 comments:

bluegrrrrl said...

The power of women....

I am sending my positive energy too!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice to be able to read your blog again and to see this event with your comments!! Wish we could all have been there to march with these women! In a way we all were!!
Continue the good work!
Love,
E
Loved the pictures of the beautiful food some of it associated with tante Malakeh!!

Fay said...

I would have been with them if I was there.
When you feel that strongly as part of that land there no are no riples deep down in your belonging.
Strength, courage, persistance and patience could be the keywords
The will of peaceful people will grow and the wish for peace may become the reality.
Thanks for writing about your trip to Lebanon in your blog. I am learning a lot with you.
Salamat

Ps I have tried to comment earlier but it seems that my comment did not reach you. Hopefully this on will. I feel I have known you for a while as I noticed you in Laure's Blog.

Lacithecat said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. Its been a bit chaotic, so I am just catching up.

I have few good friends from lebanon and they all feel similar to you. Its such a struggle - the place you love and the politics and religion that is killing it.

I don't know where you are, but in Seattle a similar group of women protest for World Peace every day of the week in different place. They hold candles - wear black - and stand in silence. Its amazing what women can do if they put their mind to it.

Margaret said...

E,
I have missed you. I know you would have marched with them if you were there. You have inspired so many women to march, and those women have inspired other women... I know this to be true because I am one of those women :)
Yes, it was tante who showed me how to make potato kibbee, yum.
Much love,
M

Margaret said...

Fay,
Thanks for seeing how much I care about Lebanon. A relative of mine made a comment to me recently about how Lebanon wasn't my country. When you grow up in a place, it is no matter what your passport says.
I have one comment on my comment page that I cannot read. It won't open and is somehow stuck in the bloggersphere. I wonder if that is your comment.
I thought I had seen your name somewhere before, now I know. I love Laure's blog!

Margaret said...

lacithecat,
I like your blog. You appear to be a kindred spirit. I love the fact that I can interact with people from all over the world through blogs.
I know the group in Seattle. Its Women in Black. There are groups all over the world. I have a link to their main webpage on the side. We started one here for awhile. I still have my outfit. maybe we will start it up again sometime. It exillerated (sp?) me.

Fay said...

The good thing about belonging to a bigger space than a house is that many of us can claim it at the same time.
My belonging record is in my heart and no one can deny it to me.
I belong in my heart at least to three countries even though I do not have the citizen civil rights in one of them. Would it really matter to shape the extent of my love to the space and the people?
PS I am trying to publish this comment in the same way than I published the previous unsucceful one: login in in your blog comments window and publishing. It is test time!

Fay said...

I believe my test was sucsseful!
Cheers

Tanya said...

Hi Margaret.. I come by way of Di's woman wandering site.. I am a fellow New Zealander and love to read about her adventures out in the world. I loved reading this post - women standing up against the violence..
As a part indigenous (maori) woman our grandmothers are getting together to make a start on bringing matriachal love back to the world and are hoping to meet with other grandmothers around the world..
This brings hope.. we are all with them :)