Tuesday, March 06, 2007

CSTI 2007


I have had a few friends either attend or facilitate a workshop at the Community Strategic Training Initiative (CSTI) and they rave about it. I actually recognize one person in the picture. I'm not saying who :) I am going to try and go this year and I recommend it to others as well. The descriptive statement that most resonated with me was this: It is at CSTI that progressives working in predominantly conservative areas find kindred spirits hundreds of miles away.

And so if you are in the area, check it out.

Here's the description from the Western States Center website:

Taking place annually during the summer, the Community Strategic Training Initiative (CSTI) fills an important leadership development and strategic convening role in the region. Through intensive all-day workshops, participants come away with an in-depth understanding of how to solve organizational issues from fundraising to working with the board to administrative systems. Programmatic workshops help groups expand and deepen their knowledge of issues in the region, and each year Center staff identify key trainers who have valuable expertise to share with participants.

It is at CSTI that progressives working in predominantly conservative areas find kindred spirits hundreds of miles away. For people of color working in overwhelmingly white communities, CSTI demonstrates that "critical mass" they feel is there, but often cannot see. Despite the conservatives' rise to power, CSTI reminds us that the movement for social justice is alive and well in our region, led by some of the most inspiring, thoughtful, and passionate individuals and groups in the country.

1 comment:

bluegrrrrl said...

Wow, this looks like an excellent program. I wonder if I can work Portland into my summer plans...

Thank you so much for letting us post your piece on Lebanon at The Peace Train yesterday! Earl told me he sent you an "approval" on your membership app later in the day...(I guess they have to do that to keep hackers out or something)