Sunday, April 01, 2007

Living!

I went out to the "country" with my friend A. yesterday to share an eclectically delicious potluck meal with some simple living mindful type folk and to learn more about the Bioneers.

A. is so inspired by the Bioneers that she has just been calling friends up and inviting herself over! This is what community organizing is all about. It is coming from within.

Along the way we stopped to look at the view and so that I could take a pic of my red boots. Now that winter is officially over, I will soon need to put my boots away. I will miss them. They help get me through the winter.

After, we visited a really incredible woman who has had breast cancer for six years and has not gone through chemo or anything. Her diet is very particular, she takes herbs and vitamins, and says mantras. An amazing spirit. We were privileged to enter her creative lair where she collects sumptuous fabrics of bright colors, textures, and designs and transforms them into various wearable pieces of art. The colors that left the most of an impression on me were a deep golden yellow and a magenta pink.

The sun is shining and I want to live my day to the fullest and so I will leave you with a quote that my dear L. sent me the other day:

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.

I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no 'brief candle' to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to the future generations.

-George Bernard Shaw

No comments: