Sunday, May 20, 2007

Trouble in Lebanon

Trouble in Lebanon. 40 dead in Tripoli. I don't even want to think about it. I am reminded of last year when I attended a weeklong workshop right after the war in Lebanon started.

I just returned from another incredible workshop with Power of Hope. All of us who attended know that the arts can make a powerful and positive difference in people's lives. It is my most deeply held belief. I believe in people and the power of groups to make a difference. I believe that people do care about each and do not want to kill one another. They just turn themselves off from their feelings. News reports like the one I linked to above are what propelled me to come to this awareness.

I may be impatient, and definitely idealistic, but there is no reason why we should be killing each other. It is as simple as that. I believe that if we all really believe that violence is not even an option, violence will cease to exist.

To the people of Tripoli and the Nahr el-Bared refugee camp, I am thinking of you.

4 comments:

Matt said...

It is such a tragety. Thanks for caring :)

Carol Gee said...

I thought about you when I heard the recent bad news from Lebanon. You are correct in saying that it takes self-numbing to behave in such primitive ways. Where are the grown-ups?! Peace.

Anonymous said...

You are not being too idealistic in thinking we can solve things with peaceful means! If more people believed like you, the world would be a much better place! Right now, most of us who abhore violence feel quite hopeless with all that is going on! My sister said that tante in Tripoli is alright!
Love,
E

margaret said...

Most glad to know that tante is alright. Thanks to all for your support. Have any great ideas for convincing testosterone saturated males that violence doesn't work???