Monday, June 11, 2007

Compassion and Possibilities

A displaced family from Nahr al-Bared stay in a UNRWA school in Baddawi refugee camp, as Lebanese schools have not opened their doors to the refugees. (Tanya Traboulsi)


The last few days have been full of insights.

For one, E. sent me the essay "Where do I Stand?" by Rania Masri that appeared in Electronic Lebanon. It's very much worth reading. It makes a case for compassion. Everyone suffers in conflict. I do not support Fatah El-Islam and to a point I am happy that Lebanon is trying to make a stand. What I am not in agreement with is the false idea that being united and supportive of Lebanon means that certain people are expendable, namely the Palestinian refugees who have called Nahr El-Badr their home for nearly 50 years. As Rania Masri explains, Palestinians opened their homes to the Lebanese people last July. Why isn't Lebanon showing the Palestinians the same goodwill?


I spent my Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in an intense course called the Landmark Forum. I was skeptical at first but did get quite alot out of it, so much so that I signed up for the Advanced Course. What I liked about it was that it gave me some basic tools to really improve my quality of life by identifying different types of thinking patterns I get myself into. We also had time to share with other participants which really helped. On Tuesday evening, we will make a declaration of some of the possibilities we want for our lives. I am looking forward to it. As of right now, I would like to create the possibility of creating a life in which I fully acknowledge and appreciate all of the wonderful people that I connect with and in which I fully appreciate the nature that surrounds me.
I am working on other possibilities but these are not solidified yet. I will say though that I had a short yet impactful conversation with a man who is from Israel. I told him that I grew up in Lebanon and we talked about how violence spared no one in Lebanon, Israel, ad Palestine. All are being affected in one way or another. He told me how tense and anxious his friends in Israel are. And the Palestinians are going through even more. What a sad way to have to live life. The man said that most people that he knows in Israel want peace even if this peace requires compromise. I shared with him that I so wish for peace there, since the area has a personal significance to me. I need to believe that peace is possible. Unfortunately, so many have lost hope.
The man's next comment is the one that impacted me the most. He said that maybe this was the possibility that I could create for myself, helping others regain hope and peace. It was as if he had read my mind. Nothing is defined as of yet, but I do feel a possibility blossoming.
I hope that everyone that reads this blog is living a life that they love.

4 comments:

traveller one said...

What a powerful and inspiring post. I sometimes forget how immensely important compassion is and just what it is capable of doing in the world. I needed to be reminded today. Thank you.
Kim

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me why I lead programs at Landmark!

Nicolle

margaret said...

Kim,
I am glad that I was able to inspire you. I hope that you continue to life your life to its fullest.
Namaste,
Margaret

margaret said...

Nicolle,
I am glad that I reminded you :) It was nice to meet you on Saturday, even if briefly. I was feeling very tired and raw from all the L. stuff that day. Maybe we can meet again when I am more refreshed!
Have a wonderful day,
Margaret