Tuesday, June 19, 2007

In Search of Arts-Based Social Change Projects

I am thinking through the possibility of my next travel experience. I would like to visit a project or projects that is/are using the arts to make an impact in people's lives. I am specifically thinking of projects that use the visual arts, theatre,... to create postive and perhaps even sustainable social change.

What countries and areas of the world am I thinking about? Right now Palestine and the entire continent of Africa are on my mind. Palestine may not be the wisest choice right now, but perhaps it is a sane decision in an insane world (to borrow from Lang.)

bUT HONESTLY, IF YOU KNOW OF ANy AWESOME ARTS-BASED PROJECTs ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, i'D LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THEM.

So please if you know of any projects, would you post a comment and let me know how to get in touch with them or learn more about them?

Thanks in advance.

Peace, Salaam, Paz, Paix-

3 comments:

Matt said...

Sorry to say I don't know of any at the moment, but Palestine - you might wanna tack that idea up on a board for a while, and look someplace else. lol

Have a great weekend!

margaret said...

Well, if you run across anything you know where my blog is :)
I am very sad about what is happening in Palestine right now, but it would by no means stop me from going.

CYBERSCAPES said...

If you are still "In Search of Arts-Based Social Change Projects". I am the AfriCOAE General Secretary, an accomplished artist and art teacher educator. Let me know the ones you are interested in. If you have the air ticket and a little more for your personal care, some skill and knowledge to do what it seems you can, we have some African countries to choose from. Ghana, Nigeria and Uganda are on the table. I am working towards building facilities for A.I.R. (artist-in-residence) program in some parts of West Africa (purpose see FocusOntheArts.Org). The only one that is on grounds is a six-unit complex of 3-bedrooms each in East central part of Nigeria. It will take in 18 residents. The finishing will be completed by middle part of next year. We could complete it sooner if there is urgent need- not necessarily an exchange, but a generous work/social place for artists from the rest of the world to come to interact and exchange ideas with local art association, schools etc. The visitor(s) would have access to the state university- the Fine and Applied Arts department of Art, Imo State University.

Simply, let me know what your basic needs are and we will take it from there. I can be reached by e-mail at nkurumeh(at)ou.edu or africoae(at)gmail.com. Project Web sites: http://afropoets.tripod.com/eta, http://www.focusonthearts.org