Sunday, June 17, 2007

Loyal to the Sky

I just finished reading the book Loyal to the Sky: Notes from an Activist by Marisa Handler. What I like about the book is that Marisa forges her own path. She believes in doing her part in making the world just and equitable and she is determined to use her gifts to do this. When she wants to travel, she finds a way to support herself through her writing without sacrificing her principles. There is also a spiritual quality to the book that I appreciated. Basically, she believes that any change in the world must first happen within oneself. As I think through new possibilities for myself, this book has been very helpful. I am including some quotes from the book to ponder...

I have come to believe that every one of us is an activist, and that every action taken in the name of our interconnection - every action that brings us closer to ourselves, to each other, to the planet births a better world (p. 254).
...the way we change the world needs to reflect the world we wish to create (p. 156).
"Nonviolence," Gandhi said, "is not a garment to be put on and off at will. Its seat is in the heart, and it must be an inseperable part of our very being" (p. 217).
I have my ideas. I love my ideas. I bask in them, cling to them, noisily impose them. And then I move beyond my bubble and they get wrecked. I grieve them. They really were beautiful, in their oblivious idealism, in their purity. Later I am grateful... Life, it seems, pushes me ever wider, deeper, in an ongoing struggle to accomodate things I never imagined existed" (p. 68).
Every society assumes that its way is the the norm, the natural way. It takes a flying leap beyond the frame to conceive of other possibilities. To believe in them (p. 7).

2 comments:

Matt said...

Wow that sounds like a great book, thanks for bringing my attention to it. :)

margaret said...

Matt,
I definitely skimmed a few parts but all in all I found it inspiring.
Take care,
M