Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Discovery on this Day of Freedom

A perfect day for me is what today was. A day in which I stay in my sleeping apparel until late afternoon, eventhough I have been up since the morning reading.

A day of discovery. What a perfect way to spend this supposed day of freedom.


A photograph of Aaron Rose's Sun and Cloud series is to the right. I randomly pulled a book of his photographs from the public library shelf last night on my way home. I am not quite sure how he creates his photographs. That is part of the mystery. They remind me of some of the pinhole images B. and I once created. The truth is, all of Aaron Rose's photographs make me think of B.


Then more of Rebecca Solnit's Hope in the Dark. Tonight's quote is from the Fourth Declaration of the Lacondon Jungle, January 1, 1996:


A new lie is being sold to us as history. The lie of the defeat of hope, the lie of the defeat of dignity, the lie of the defeat of humanity ... In place of humanity, they offer us the stock market index. In place of dignity, they offer us the globalization of misery. In place of hope, they offer us emptiness. In place of life, they offer us an International of Terror. Against the International of Terror that neoliberalism represents, we must raise an International of Hope. Unity beyond borders, languages, colors, cultures, sexes, strategies and thoughts, of all those who prefer a living humanity. The International of Hope. Not the bureaucracy of hope, not an image inverse to, and thus similar to, what is annihilating us. Not power with a new sign or new clothes. A flower, yes, the flower of hope (pp. 30-40).


I can hear fireworks going off outside. One of my friends stopped by to see if I wanted to watch them. She doesn't know me well enough to know that I don't enjoy fireworks. For me they are a contradiction. Sure, they are beautiful to look at. But the sound of them. They sound like bombs to me. How can one celebrate while listening to the sound of death and destruction?


Before settling in to write this post, I went to a party with fun bluegrass and delicious fish soup. The soup was hot and so was the late afternoon. Perspiration flowed from my scalp as I ate and ate.


I put my finished bowl in the sink and noticed the latest edition of adbusters on the counter. I was with A. when she bought it. Despite the bluegrass, I wasn't feeling all that social. Jazz and Jihad: the Discourse of Solidarity by Gilad Atzmon drew me in. While others socialized, I sat on the front porch and read.


Gilad Atzmon is Israeli but very critical of the "Ziocons" as he calls the Israeli state. He likens the history of resistance that formed jazz to the Jihad, "To be a jazz musician is to fight for beauty, to create and recreate, to construct and deconstruct, to question while knowing that answers may not be available for awhile."


And before I leave you with a YouTube video of Gilad Atzmon playing in Jenin, I must share one more quote. I encourage you to reflect upon all of these quotes as I do, going back to them over and over again...


Alternatively I would suggest that to support the other means to accept otherness, to accept that which you may never grasp. To accept otherness is to let in the unknown and the unfamiliar. To support Palestine is to back the Hamas and to support Iraq is to back the Iraqui resistance and liberation struggle. Simply speaking, to show solidarity is to support and accept other people and their will.


I considered cutting this quote before the mentioning of Hamas but I could not because Atzmon has a point. Last year, the U.S. supported democratic elections in Palestine and then was unhappy with the results. I am not even sure how I feel given the recent violent overtaking of Hamas in Gaza. Despite my feelings, I must acknolwledge that there is a reason why Hamas, Hizbollah, the Iraqui resistance,... exist and to ignore listening to this reason will only deepen the chasm of political chaos that is occurring in a part of the world that I hold dear.


And now, as I promised, some jazz by Gilad Atzmon. Relax and enjoy for it is 6 minutes long. If you haven't been watching my YouTube additions, I recommend that you do. I am very selective and so the ones that I pick are thought provoking and inspiring, to me at least.


Practice freedom, however you can.


Namaste


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like you I don't like fire crackers specially since the war in Lebanon, they remind me of bombs and violence even though the colourful and creative effects can be artistic at times, they are too much like war. I am glad you raised this point which has always been in my obervations also; One could analyze this further...
Thanks for bringing it up and making your readers aware of it!
Love,
E

Frida said...

SO many things to think about in these posts.
- I have had the experience of being with someone who had just come out of the shelling of Ramallah when the fireworks went off in Wellington NZ - she was very traumatised and I suddenly realised how terrible fireworks must be for many people
- the quote about accepting Hamas if we support the Palestinians is challenging but in a good way as someone who lived in and loved Gaza I am really sad about the situation there now, but it is the result of so many wrongs done over such a long time
- i was fascinated by your experience of the Landmark course and I also am going to stop using "non-violence" in my statements about my self. Ahinsa is a nice way out for me but kind of cheating.
Enjoy being home.

margaret said...

Thanks, Frida.
Ahinsa, that might work. I would have to make sure that it was based on a negative though. I don't speak Hindi and so I do not know.
About Gaza. I have never been to Palestine but have cared deeply for Palestine ever since my daily drive past the now destroyed refugee camp of Tel al-Zaatar on my way to school as a child. Thank you for caring about the Palestinian people.
Creating the possibility of interconnection and peace,
Margaret