Monday, July 16, 2007

A Nice Visit

I'm pretty tired and I go back to work tomorrow. Luckily, it will be a busy day.

It's been nice spending time with my father despite the fact that I would be lying if I said that it was always easy. I had not realized how used I have become to being by myself and am not used to having someone around me all of the time. I snapped at him a few times which I feel bad about and told him so. He asks alot of questions: "How do you do this?," ""Why is this called this?," "Where is this?" I am not used to him asking so many questions. I am used to him being my father and being in control; but as we both grow older, the relationship changes as well. Sometimes, his questions remind me of those of his grandchild or mine when I was young. Perhaps this is in part why I snapped. His growing older scares me.
This made me even more determined to make sure that he enjoyed himself. It was nice that he visited when it wasn't freezing out and we could do more things outside. In addition to our bike ride, we went and visited my favorite park in full bloom and went kayaking in a beautiful nearby lake. This afternoon, we sat at the kitchen table and became creative. Dad made photo postcards of his trip for his grandchildren and I made him a small photo album of photos from his trip. It was a nice way to end the day.


4 comments:

Lacithecat said...

how lovely ...

(lurking as usual!)

Carol Gee said...

Margaret, your posts about your father are always so beautifully written. You honor the complexity of the relationship with your open and honest way of writing the dialogue. Thanks, as always, for giving me a smile.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of your photo album for your dad. Your photos are so beautiful that I'm sure he appreciated it as a precious gift!
L

beachblogger said...

dear margaret,

wow, what beautiful photos!

peace, peter