Monday, July 30, 2007

What a day. I came home crabby and with one of those nasty headaches that I get behind my eyes. Playing a tape in my head of my cynicism. Some semi-influential wheel squeaking individuals in my community want to cut all city contracts that exist with my agency. I find that while most in my community support the work my agency does, few will openly say they do. And so, I told one of my colleagues today that as far as I was concerned, if the community didn't speak out in support of us and relented to fear and apathy, then they got what they deserved! The problem when I make these statements is that I get myself on some negative tangent that is hard to let go of. It took coming home and finding the book below to arrive in the mail for my mood to change.

This book and the fact that I decided to turn on the radio and listen to our local community station only to discover that there is actually an amazingly cool latino show on Monday nights were what turned my mood around. When they played Silvio Rodriguez' Sueno con los Serpientes, I finally overcame my own leaden and cynical thought bolted apathy to call the hosts and thank them. I hadn't heard Spanish in so long. Oh, how I love the sound of it.

And then I started cutting and pasting.

The postcard trend continues.


I made this one yesterday while attempting to respond to a poem for my class. Inspired by VIEWFINDER with layers and an attempt at color. Obviously, I still like to limit my palette no matter how hard I consciously try. It's based on a Vasco Popa poem.

Last News About the Little Box

The little box which contains the world
Fell in love with herself
And conceived
Still another little box

The little box of the little box
Also fell in love with herself
And conceived
Still another little box

And so it went on forever

The world from the little box
Ought to be inside
The last offspring of the little box

But not one of the little boxes
Inside the little box in love with herself
Is the last one

Let’s see you find the world now

-Vasco Popa

And then tonight, I made two more. Lenore Tawney didn't consider her postcards complete until they were mailed and stamped. The stamps became part of the piece and so they are incomplete but the first you see will go to E. This is the first time I have started to compose on both sides.
Women from the Middle East and Guatemala on one side. Guatemalan police officers and a young Lebanese boy leaving his mark with a sign that says, "I want a doll," on the other.

I handwrote a quote by the delectable Audre Lorde on the front:
For women, then, poetry is not a luxury. It is a vital necessity of our existence. It forms the quality of the light within which we predicate our hopes and dreams toward survival and change, first made into language, then into idea, then into more tangible action. Poetry is the way we help give name to the nameless so it can be thought. The farthest horizons of our hopes and fears are cobbled by our poems, carved from the rock experiences of our daily lives.
-Audre Lorde


I also made this one on the left for my friend Loona. It is mainly from a birthday card that she sent me a few years ago. Both have paper that I made and hilo/thread that I brought back from Guatemala with the intention of crocheting another bag besides the one on the sidebar that says "Paz."
We have a staff meeting tomorrow and I still haven't made the hummus that I said that I would make. Plus, I am facilitating a game in the afternoon and the prizes are not prepared. And I and W are coming over for dinner. I decided that I would make them my favorite dish, black beans using my friend B.'s recipe. Simple and just plain yum.

E. was right. My low period is being followed by a super productive time.
Goodnight, I am thinking of all of my dear readers and wishing you a wonderful day wherever you may be on our dear mother Earth.
Namaste.






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!
Thanks a lot Margaret!

Love,
E

margaret said...

Hopefully you will receive the postcard, E. It went out in today's mail. I looked up the postage online but guessed on the weight and shape.
My friends I and W came over for dinner this evening and you will never guess where W got his PhD! Not only did he get it at U of I but he studied German and so, yes, he was in the FLB! He was there in the early 70s. When did you arrive? I always find it amazing to discover how small the world really is despite my wandering :)

Wendy said...

Oh I just LOVE that book...it's one of my faves.

margaret said...

Guess where I found out about it? :)

MAHIMA said...

margaret!
I love your postcards!
Happy also to know you came to viewfinder and allowed yourself to a postcard making apree. :) :)
I'll have to go find the book and have a look at it, it looks lovely!

Myrthe said...

Your postcards are so beautiful! There is so much to see in them.

margaret said...

Thanks, Myrthe!