Saturday, August 25, 2007

Amputating the Imagination

E. sent me the following quote from the Nawal El Saadawi. It is amazing how much more alive and happy I feel just because I am making these "not attached to the outcome" postcards. Last night, I was so busy making them that when I pulled back the curtain and looked out the window the sun was coming up!

To amputate the imagination is no less dangerous than amputating the limbs of the human body, or circumcision of the clitori in young girls.
But people rarely talk about “amputation” of the imagination in creative works, perhaps because the imagination does not bleed or suffer from physical pain. Yet a human body with an amputated imagination is no less incapacitated than a body with no limbs.
Freedom for creative expression, the health and wholeness of the imagination are essential if we're to struggle effectively against religious violence, or political tyranny exercised by the state or within the family. A free wholesome imagination is our protection against double standards and dichotomies in society inherited from the slave society, against prejudices arising from religion class, gender, race or colour.

Nawal El Saadawi

I totally agree with her.

2 comments:

Frida said...

Thanks so much for all the creative affirmation and inspiration. And this quote - which I'm going to write down and put in my journal. There is a reason why a human rights lawyer and a development advisoe in the middle of Afghanistan are about to embark on a 12 week journey to discover/recover their creative energy and path.

Thanks!

margaret said...

Frida,
12 weeks? That's a nice long time. I am dreading the conversatiom I am going to have soon with my boss about taking 6 weeks off to go study Arabic next summer. Vacation time is not something we get alot of in this country that I live in.
keep me posted on what you discover/recover.