Friday, August 10, 2007

Language and creations


The other day when I was flying back from Portland, I sat next to a young man from Michoacan. He didn't speak much English and so I was able to pull my Spanish out of the back of the sock drawer and use it.
It felt wonderful. The language was just pouring out of me instinctively, out of my body, my mind, my mouth, the deep recesses of my heart. I was using my whole mind. Completely alert as I made "educated" and "contextual" guesses and listened to the language, the words pour out me. The Spanish that I learned to speak, that I was woken up to on birthday mornings with hot chocolate and song.


For days the slowly dissipating memory of language seeped from my pores, from dusty corners. Que placer.

All at once, everything made sense. I needed to go through that struggle that is learning a language and the cultures that create it. I need that to reactivate all of my senses simultaneously. No wonder I seem ADD in the U.S. I am acclimated to super alertness, to interpreting every cue that comes my way. My world of often correct assumptions. A world I rediscovered this past December and January.


I have already written of how alive I felt, how activated all of my senses were. I will return to this, hopefully next summer to learn the language that is already in my bones even if not spoken, read, or fully understood.
This is all that I know so far.



2 comments:

MAHIMA said...

margaret!
i just love your collages!
and this post was one of those that transport you to another time and place.
loved the word-choice.
i've been on voluntary retreat from the comp the last 2 days or so to spend time wth family and journal and make art, so today I finally got back to my blog and posted a new post. :)

Frida said...

me too - me too I love those collages. so lovely to read about you feeling that flow.