Monday, September 17, 2007

A package from Wendy


I came home to a package today from my blog friend Wendy. It contained the book Aimee and Jaguar. I am a little nervous about reading it because it takes place during the Second World War and I tend to get worked up over stories that end with someone being shipped off and dying in a concentration camp.
Plus, it's the story of love between two women. Seeing that I have been moping and feeling sorry for myself because I am not one of two main characters in a real life love story, I am worried that it will make my mood even worse. Today at work I totally turned grumpy at the suggestion that we have a "prom" fundraiser all because I was certain I would end up going by myself and having to dance by myself while everyone coupled up.
However, reading the sweet note from Wendy inside has changed my mood and perspective:
Dear M,
Real life stories of love always give me hope for the world.
Much love,
W
Well, what gives me hope is that there are people like Wendy in the world whom I would never have met if it wasn't for these strange new media that didn't exist when I was growing up called the internet and the blogosphere. People like her that I share a connection with and who sends me a book even though I have never met her face to face!
What a great alternative to Dorothy Allison's Skin which was beginning to depress me. It has way too much sex in it for a single person to take.
Thank you, thank you, dear Wendy!
I will begin reading it tonight.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

i thought it was a very powerful book.

enjoy :-)

Lacithecat said...

Yes, we are lucky to have blogs. Just imagine living with the lack of public expression that existed before.

The book looks lovely and don't be down (gosh, I am totally in your shoes) - I truely have to believe there is something better out there than my recent relationships. Until, I am going to enjoy my life as much as I can. Smile ...