Friday, October 26, 2007

Postcards, tissue paper, and queerness

Here are some of this week's creations. I discovered layering tissue paper.





I also found myself laboring over some of my homework. One assignment asked me to define terms as simply as possible. This is what I came up with for the word "queer:"
Queer has different meanings to different people. It used to be a negative word for “homosexual.” Because of this older people who identify as gay, lesbian, intersex, bisexual, transgender, or questioning (GLIBTQ) may not feel comfortable using the word. Among younger generations, the term can apply to anyone who identifies as GLIBTQ or can go even farther by including all sexual orientations and gender identities including heterosexual and traditional societal gender roles. In this way, “queer” is a word that breaks down all categories of gender and sexuality.
We were then asked to create a persona for an adolescent who self-identified as queer. And decide how this adolescent would feel about various models for sexuality and gender including the Kinsey Model, the Klein Model, and the Gender Variance Model from gender.org. I decided that the adolescent, whom I gave the gender neutral name "Jamie," would not relate to any of the models because "queer" is by its nature uncategorizable. Instead, I thought that Jamie would prefer a collage and of course I made one in postcard form which I will mail to my instructor!


No comments: