Monday, December 24, 2007

Stream of Conciousness Blogging




This sick time has proven to be a wonderful break for me. I love it when I am forced to stay home and be. Besides finally posting the above holiday inspired postcards, I've been busy reading, reflecting , writing, dreaming up ideas, and blog wandering.




For my birthday, my father gave me a gift certificate which I spent on a book, Annette Messager: Word for Word. I have been drawn to Annette Messager's work for years. It's tactile yet cerebral and as she herself says:

I have never started off from the basis of a color or a form, but always from a word. The word has been a trigger. I am a word thief.

Yes, I am also inspired by words; even though pure color, form, and textures are turn-ons for me as well. I also love her materials, notebooks, fabric and techniques that include sewing and embroidery-- women's "craft"/art forms. She makes so much sense to me. If she could only come up with some magic formula for a non photo-op peace treaty between Palestine and Israel, a new all inclusive government in Lebanon, and a way to rid the world of the male desire to conquer and exploit I would be even more ecstatic.
When I added my new gift to Library Thing, I discovered that an artist in the Netherlands named Elisa with the most amazing bookshelf, home, and artwork also loved Annette Messager. I encourage you to visit her blog and her flicker photos. Yum. I just love the books all piled up in their semi-orderly sections in front of that luscious red wall.






And then, through dear ada, I discovered the work of Vania Barbosa. I have been loving felting for awhile but really got mentally hooked two weeks ago when a colleague needle felted at our two-day meeting over the mountains. The neckpiece, though large, is especially attractive to me. If anyone has any felting expertise and advice I'd love to hear it because I just ordered every single felting book my local library has. Yahoo!


I also discovered the following poem by Naomi Shihab Nye on Mortar and Pestle's blog (I said that this was a stream of consciousness post). Both writers are also pushing boundaries and encouraging us to think, live, and speak.
Hidden
If you place a fern
under a stone
the next day it will benearly invisible
as if the stone has
swallowed it.
If you tuck the name of a loved one
under your tongue too long
without speaking it
it becomes blood
sigh
the little sucked-in breath of air
hiding everywhere
beneath your words.

No one sees
the fuel that feeds you.
I find that human creativity and endurance gives me hope that we human beings can get over our need for power, control, and a hand job to share and live simply and mindfully without destructive conflict. If we all just stepped back and breathed would most of the conflict we live with, create, and steadfastly uphold really matter?
I will pray with every breathe, muscle, and action for a world without war and injustice. I will do this as long as I am alive and able.
This is my holiday wish.

2 comments:

elisa said...

My biggest treasure,my bookcase in someone else's blog. How great and thanks for your nice words.

margaret said...

elisa,
I thought you had seen that before. Yes, I love that bookcase.