Sunday, January 13, 2008

Stray Coins


My friend G. came to visit me last week. We took a mellow hike one day along the river where he took the above photo. It was wonderful seeing him. We spent a year in Guatemala together and he always encourages me to live as fully and as mindfully as possible just by his presence.

A week is a long time in my small place but I kept on reminding myself that it was luxurious and spacious compared to our living quarters in Guatemala. He is the kind of friend who is always welcome in my space wherever that is.


When he left, I found this little sign of him on my shelf. Stacked coins. I was thinking about it and the three out of town guests that I have had since I have moved into this apartment have been male. I have given each of them a specific space for their stuff. Stray coins from pant pockets are the male (and butch female) accoutrement that I have always had the hardest time putting up with. Despite this, I have decided that I am going to keep the two stacks right where they are as long as I can stand it. It's a way for me to remember G., and all the cool guys and butches in my life.

No comments: