Saturday, February 09, 2008

Inspirations

I have had a few inspirations these last couple of days. Today, I sat back and gave myself a little time to read through Works of Heart: Building Community Through the Arts. How joyful it is to see people using their creative gifts in and for their communities. It helped reiterate something I have always known: Art can change the world.
A poetry teacher summarizes the power of art this way:
Why do I teach poetry? Because I want poets running my neighborhood council, my city, my country. I want poets tuned into the changes in light and season, who know the names of all birds and will notice if fewer of them return in spring. I teach poetry because I want a richer world for all of us- where the truths of the eye and the heart are valued more than those of the pocket book. Where students who experience the balance of a mind at rest in nature will turn away from war as a solution to anything. I want my world governed by writers/thinkers/feelers like Madeline who can feel as sharply as those ancient masters, Li Po and Du Fu, the pangs of loss when the geese depart, and who know that the experience of loss resonates in every human soul. I teach poetry because I know it teaches us to enlarge our compassion for all peoples and creatures, for all of nature in its renewing beauty.
-Alicia Hokanson

Some of the art projects that I found particularly inspirational are:
and especially The Beehive Collective, which is the most political of the bunch.
As often happens with me, I feel like a tornado hit and my mind is racing with thoughts and ideas. It is always a good idea to remind myself to slow down and breathe.
But before I slow down (I am breathing), I would like to share a few images that I found on dear ada the other day. I cannot get enough of the colors and textures of this hanging mobile by Helene Manche.

I also keep on returning sophie cuvelier's website to see her guirlandes/garlands. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do!



May we create a better world through sharing the beauty that we see around us.

2 comments:

elisa said...

Hello Margaret, thanks for your comment on my happy carnival face.
And for showing this great artworks on your blog. This night I "pimped" a room divider, with ribbons, beads and flowers. True joy came to me and by looking at your blog my joy is so confidence giving. Love from a happy artist.

margaret said...

elisa,
A room divider? I hope you will post some photos :)
Love to you too