Sunday, April 13, 2008

Quotes and Creativity


mortar and pestle introduced me to a new book, Creating a Life Worth Living, by Carol Lloyd. It is just what I needed as I have been in a bit of a creative rut and questioning how my day job fuels my creativity. The author encourages readers to read and do the excercises in one chapter a week. I just finished the first chapter where she recommends that readers do a daily action at the same time every day, preferably in the morning. It should be an action that frees your mind and allows it to think whatever it wants to and to free your creativity all the while creating a sense of structure and discipline. My daily action is to do 15 minutes of unstructured yoga at 7:00 am every morning. I already slipped a little because I haven't yet done this today. I may amend my action requirements to be accomplished when I wake up on Sunday rather than specifically at 7:00.
The whole point of this post was to share a quote that I found in the book:
There is vitality, a life force, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. If you block it, it will never exist through any other medium. It will be lost. The world will not have it. It is not your business to determine how good it is, nor how valuable it is, nor how it compares with other expressions. It is your business to keep it yours clearly and directly, to keep the channel open.
-Martha Graham to Agnes De Mille

1 comment:

Webcam said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.