Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Thank You

When I was in high school, I had a poster on my wall that was very similar to the one on the right. The image is powerful because it is true. If men were the ones getting pregnant do you think that our right to make and have access to reproductive choices would continually be threatened? The answer is a simple, "No."



This image is also powerful because it disrupts gender roles and binaries. I love disrupting those. The truth is that I never thought it would happen in my lifetime. But it has.







I have a great deal of respect for Thomas Beatie and his wife Nancy for taking on the challenge of having a child no matter how they have been treated by the medical community and the media. Their reasons are very simple and genuine: they want a child together. They are not having a child for the purpose of pushing boundaries, but thankfully they are. The photo below makes me cry; it is so beautiful, and historic. I want to soak it in, look at it so many times that it becomes completely normal and I would never again think of a pregnant man as nothing more than a dream.

I wish Thomas, Nancy, and their beautiful daughter the brightest of all todays and tomorrows. And I selfishly say, "Thank you."

No comments: