Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Real Compromise

Today was a long work day. It was one of those days where I had the opportunity to try and connect with people whose views are very different from my own. I filled myself with empathy and tried to understand. I sent out love and compassion. Common ground may have been reached with some. With others, I was probably still the devil. It was exasperating and exhilarating at the same time. It is easy to become blinded in our opinion. I have done it as well. Is there a benefit to compromise?

I was asking myself this question when I came home and checked my internet sources for a Lebanon update. An agreement between the various Lebanese entities was reached in Doha. I couldn't believe it. Just yesterday L. sent me an article saying the opposite. Compromise has advantages, namely peace.

Of course, there are limitations. The question of Hezbollah's arms was not addressed. Directing them towards other Lebanese is intolerable, if you ask me. And, of course why does Hezbollah have arms in the first place? To defend themselves against Israel. As long as one group has arms, the others are going to need them too. Hence, Israel's arms need to be brought to the table. You can say I am dreaming. But let's have a real compromise.

No comments: