Thursday, June 26, 2008

Buried Language

Homework for Friday 27, 2008 الواجبات ليوم الجمعة 27 حزيران 2008
From your textbook: Al-Kitaab fii Tacallum al-cArabiyya
12 ،11 ،10 ، 1) دراسة القواعد صفحة 7
Study Grammar P. 7, 10, 11 and 12
12 ، 10 ، (part A from the exercise) 2) آتابة تمارين 8
Write exercises 8A , 10 and 12
Memorize today’s vocabulary list (3
Write 5 sentences using “this” in both masculine and feminine (4


It's after 7:00 pm and I haven't started. We had classes from 8:30 to 3:30 today and I needed to clear my mind after.

I had a huge smile on my face nearly the whole day. I went in with only what my brain could pull out from over twenty years in storage. I could put words together pretty well thanks to all of those word drills at MarDoumet where I went to school as a child. I could also understand almost everything. I just couldn't speak. When I couldn't understand something, I got obssessed with saying "Ma maana ...?" "What does ... mean?" And was probably annoyingly hyper. Many who know me are very aware of this character trait.

No photos today even though there are many more to come. I have themes developing: AUB, cats, textures, architecture,...

Maa Salama

4 comments:

Wendy said...

m,
been away from your cozy corner for a spell...

where are you now?
what are you doing?

why did you change your blog's name?

xo
w

glued blue glass said...

Wendy,
Welcome back! I'm back in Lebanon for the summer studying Arabic.
The blog name has to do with a piece of glass my mom has. A little over a month ago there was fighting here and I just felt like the word fit.
Peace,
M

Myrthe said...

Margaret, I've been meaning to tell you this, but didn't get around to: I want to wish you a great time in Lebanon, I hope you learn a lot, meet many new people and will be able to reconnect to the language, people and place of your youth. I hope you have a wonderful time, I think I can only begin to understand what this means for you! Big, big hug! Myrthe

glued blue glass said...

Thanks, Myrthe!
I saw a poster for a talk on the Armenian Genocide here at AUB. Unfortunately, it took place in May. But it made me think of you.
I've been reading some good books. I need to catch up on writing about that too. Maybe after the class is over. We are doing a year's worth of work in 6 weeks! Argh.