Sunday, August 10, 2008

More for the Mix

I haven't thrown this into the mix of things that I am doing during my time off, but E. and I are moving into a house together! Maya (above) and her cat (Silver) are joining us but that is another story. I am trying to pace myself with both the writing and the packing and when I get frustrated with one, I work on the other instead. Today is writing day.

One piece of wisdom that I heard in the last few days is that a writer has to accept that the story may not have the ending that she/he anticipated. The writer has to be willing for the characters to determine where the story should go. I wasn't yet willing to do this with any of my writings on Lebanon and so I am switching to another theme for awhile. I'll see how that goes.

And also, I have received quite a few e-mails from friends regarding my last two posts. One friend suggested The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp. I haven't read it but it looks like it could be helpful to creative types who are going through a funk. He said it was much less fuffy than Julia Cameron's books. This made me laugh.

8 comments:

MLC said...

Congratulations -- I like Ann Lamont and Natalie Goldberg's book on writing. Another book Poem Crazy (cannot recall author) is a good one for opening blocked channels.

-j.

glued blue glass said...

I like Natalie Goldberg and Ann Lamott as well. I'll have to look into the other.

Myrthe said...

Congratulations! I wish you both much happiness together and I do hope for your sake your cats will get along! :-p

Daisy said...

I want that cat!!!!! (((just beautiful))))

glued blue glass said...

Myrthe,
Yes. I hope the cats get along too. Maya gets along with almost everybody. It's Silver that has a hard time with other animals. I was worried that Maya would be lonely since she is used to being around lots of friendly cats but the neighbor's cat appears friendly and is black too! Silver will just have to get used to having other cats around.

glued blue glass said...

Thanks, Daisy.
I love her too.

Sarah said...

Maya has lost weight and almost looks frail. Is she OK?? I am worried. Am I going to have to sneak her food so she gets that 5th meal she needs?

glued blue glass said...

Don't worry about Maya. Those eyes give her many advantages.