Sunday, September 14, 2008

BARACK OBAMA


I have completely had it with the cynicism that people have expressed to me ever since Sarah Palin joined the race as Republican candidate for Vice President. I am sick of the e-mails with articles about how she is changing the race and the "I have more experience than Sarah Palin" groups on Facebook. People are actually beginning to lose hope that Obama will win. As far as I am concerned we progressives are feeding into a process of cynical criticism that we have been doing for over 8 years and it has to stop. The more time we talk about Palin, the more soundbites we contribute to her campaign and the less time we spend talking about a man who has the compassion to say that he too is the product of a teen pregnancy and that he will not judge.
This divisive banter has to stop and OBAMA knows it. That is why he doesn't contribute to it. Be proud Democrats. For the first time in a long while we have a candidate that we can believe in and that is changing the petty rhetoric of this political landscape. No matter if OBAMA wins or loses in November we will have shown the world that the United States can produce a diplomatic, respectful, compassionate, and real leader. And, yes, he's black. Embrace that too. If you worry that he can't win because of the color of his skin, you need to look at yourself and your own covert racism. I have just had it. I send out into the blogosphere the words that will help us be positive and forget all the cynical banter:
BARACK OBAMA will be our next president.
BARACK OBAMA
BARACK OBAMA
BARACK OBAMA

9 comments:

MLC said...

Yes of course he will particularly if thinking people register and vote.

-janet

glued blue glass said...

True. But there was a huge voter registration effort in the last campaign and Bush still won. This time I feel that it is a question of getting some people who are already registered out of their cynicism, but I could be wrong.

Hannah said...

i cannot agree with you more. barack's campaign is one based upon hope and progress, and we cannot expect a change if we lose the hope that originally inspired us.

~summer~ said...

righty-o girlie! Whenever people say "if" Obama is elected, I always say, "you mean when, right?"

Lava said...

I agree.

Thanks for posting it.

Renegade Eye said...

I hate to spoil the party, but I believe whoever wins, it's Bush's third term.

glued blue glass said...

I am curious as to why you say that, RE. If McCain is elected, then yes it will be Bush's third term. And while in my heart I may wish that Obama would take a more radical stance on some issues, I see him as a compassionate moderate who is trying to take a wide range of perspectives into account. Compromise is essential if conflict is to be transformed. Seeing all that the U.S. and the world have been through for the past 8 years (if not 16), I gladly embrace Obama as President.

nutmeg said...

I am a lurker on your blog and was wondering if you would be willing to promote a blog campaign aimed at building Obama’s volunteer base. You can read about it here: http://simplynutmeg.com/?p=803. Thanks!

Yes we can!

Meg

glued blue glass said...

Meg,
I am out of town right now. When I get back and have some time to breathe, I'll look over your campaign.