Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Day of Thanks

The United States holiday of Thanksgiving is soon approaching. The reason for this holiday that I learned as a child is not one that I want to celebrate. The pilgrims, or the colonizers, had a meal with the local inhabitants, the Native American "Indians", in order to show their gratitude for surviving a difficult year. Of course, the local inhabitants that the pilgrims shared this meal with and who helped them survive that difficult year were later killed, infected with disease, and sent off to reservations, but to this day Americans still celebrate. And despite my bleak introduction, I do too.

I love Thanksgiving because I love to cook and share food with folk. And so, for the last few years I have become quite the happy homemaker. I cook all day and invite anybody who wants to come by and share a meal. I have a few dishes that I usually make, often passed on from friends I have met along the way such as Lazaro's wild rice dressing with sausage, apples, and fennel. Other meal essentials are an apple cheesecake and a turkey. Turkeys are almost a requirement for this traditional meal.

This year I am thinking about making a turkey with some sort of mole sauce. Hence the above photo. It is a mole turkey from Epicurious. I may not follow the recipe exactly. I rarely do but as I experiment I will be reminded of another dear friend of mine, Petra. One of my favorite Thanksgivings was spent making and eating turkey enchiladas with mole sauce with her and her family.

I am so thankful for all of the moments that I have to share with my friends. And, I am thankful for you, my readers, too :)

No comments: